|Coordinates||10°46′30″N 72°32′06″E / 10.775°N 72.535°ECoordinates: 10°46′30″N 72°32′06″E / 10.775°N 72.535°E|
|Adjacent bodies of water||Indian Ocean|
|Area||0.036 km2 (0.014 sq mi)|
|Coastline||0.7 km (0.43 mi)|
|Highest elevation||2 m (7 ft)|
|Territory||Union territory of Lakshadweep|
|Island group||Laccadive Islands|
|Tehsils of India||Kavaratti|
|Subdivisions of India||Kavaratti|
|Pop. density||0 /km2 (0 /sq mi)|
|Ethnic groups||Malayali, Mahls|
|Avg. summer temperature||32.0 °C (89.6 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||28.0 °C (82.4 °F)|
It is located at 10°46′N 72°32′E / 10.767°N 72.533°E about 24 km to the north of Kavaratti, 37 km to the east of Agatti and 42.5 km to the SSW of Amini Island. The island is low and arid and, lacking adequate anchorage points, of difficult accessibility. There is another island with the same name in Lakshadweep which is part of the Kalpeni Atoll.
Pitti Island is 300 x 200 m in size and devoid of vegetation. There is a dark rock on the eastern side and several stone cairns.
Pitti is an important nesting place for pelagic birds such as the sooty tern (Sterna fuliginosa), the greater crested tern (Sterna bergii) and the brown noddy (Anous stolidus). The birds nest side by side, but not intermixed, on the dry coral rubble. There is a seasonal pattern in the breeding period of the birds. Since it has no protecting reef surrounding it, the islet is periodically rinsed by wave action and there is no accumulation of guano on it.
Pitti is located at the southern end of Pitti Bank, a largely submerged atoll, on the same bank as Amini Island. Pitti Bank, also oriented along a northeast-southwest axis, is 49 km long, in the northern part from 2 to 7 km wide and in the southern part up to 18 km wide. The 11th parallel north passes across the bank. Pitti Bank may be considered a largely submerged and sunken atoll, with an estimated lagoon area of 415 km2 (160 sq mi), with just the two islands Amini and Pitti remaining at its opposite ends.
- "Islandwise Area and Population - 2011 Census" (PDF). Government of Lakshadweep.
- Registration Plate Numbers added to ISO Code
- "Lakshadweep - Pitti". Oceandots. Archived from the original on December 23, 2010. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (2005). Prostar Sailing Directions 2005 India & Bay of Bengal Enroute. ProStar Publications. p. 103. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- Zacharias, V.J.; Kurup, Deepakumar Narayana (1994). "Birds of Lakshadweep Islands" (PDF). Forktail (10): 49–64. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 12, 2012. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- Tehsils info
- Hydrographic Description (Indian Ocean Pilot)
- Lagoon sizes
- List of Atolls
- An ornithological expedition to the Lakshadweep archipelago
- Sources towards a history of the Laccadive Islands