ISO 3166-2:IN is the entry for India in ISO 3166-2, part of the ISO 3166 standard published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), which defines codes for the names of the principal subdivisions (e.g., provinces or states) of all countries coded in ISO 3166-1.
Currently for India, ISO 3166-2 codes are defined for 29 states and 7 Union territories.
Each code consists of two parts, separated by a hyphen. The first part is IN, the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code of India. The second part is two letters, currently used in vehicle registration plates, with some exceptions.
Subdivision names are listed as in the ISO 3166-2 standard published by the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency (ISO 3166/MA).
Click on the button in the header to sort each column.
|Code||Subdivision name||Subdivision category|
|IN-JK||Jammu and Kashmir||state|
|IN-AN||Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Union territory|
|IN-DN||Dadra and Nagar Haveli||Union territory|
|IN-DD||Daman and Diu||Union territory|
- Code inconsistent with vehicle registration code, which is CG.
- Changed its name from Orissa to Odisha in 2011. OD replaced OR as vehicle registration code, but not as ISO 3166-2 code.
- Code inconsistent with vehicle registration code, which is TS.
- Code inconsistent with vehicle registration code, which is UK. Before the state renamed from Uttaranchal to Uttarakhand in 2007, the vehicle registration code was UA and the ISO 3166-2 code was IN-UL.
The following changes to the entry have been announced in newsletters by the ISO 3166/MA since the first publication of ISO 3166-2 in 1998. ISO stopped issuing newsletters in 2013.
|Newsletter||Date issued||Description of change in newsletter||Code/Subdivision change|
|Newsletter I-2||2002-05-21||Partial reorganization of subdivision layout: Three new states. Addition of an alternative name for one state. New list source|| Subdivisions added:|
|Newsletter I-3||2002-08-20||Error correction: Duplicate use of IN-CH corrected. Spelling correction|| Codes: (to correct duplicate use)|
Chhattīsgarh: IN-CH → IN-CT
|Newsletter I-4||2002-12-10||Error correction: Reintroduction of old name form in IN-WB|
|Newsletter II-3|| 2011-12-13
|Addition of local generic administrative terms, update of the official languages according to ISO 3166-2, addition of a comment and source list update.|| Codes:|
IN-UL Uttaranchal → IN-UT Uttarakhand
The following changes to the entry are listed on ISO's online catalogue, the Online Browsing Platform:
|Effective date of change||Short description of change (en)|
|2014-10-30||Add 1 state IN-TG; change spelling of IN-OR; update List Source and Code Source|
|2011-12-13||Addition of local generic administrative terms, update of the official languages according to ISO 3166-2, addition of a comment and source list update.|
- "RTO Codes of Odisha State". odishabook.com. Odisha Book. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- Ramanath V., Riyan (2 March 2014). "New RTO here, get driving licence in a day". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Times of India. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- Special Correspondent (18 June 2014). "Vehicle registrations dwindle in Telangana State". Hyderabad: The Hindu.
- "Telangana begins vehicles registration with 'TS' code". mid-day. 19 June 2014.