|Coordinates||11°33′N 72°09′E / 11.550°N 72.150°ECoordinates: 11°33′N 72°09′E / 11.550°N 72.150°E|
|Adjacent bodies of water||Indian Ocean|
|Area||0.187 km2 (0.072 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||2 m (7 ft)|
|Territory||Union territory of Lakshadweep|
|Tehsils of India||Aminidivi|
|Subdivisions of India||Bitra|
|Pop. density||1,570 /km2 (4,070 /sq mi)|
|Ethnic groups||Malayali, Mahls|
|Avg. summer temperature||32.0 °C (89.6 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||28.0 °C (82.4 °F)|
Bitra (Malayalam: ബിത്ര), also known as Bitrā Par, is a coral atoll belonging to the Amindivi Subgroup of islands of the Union Territory of Lakshadweep in India. It is 1,958 km (1,217 mi) south of the city of Delhi.
Prior to the 20th century, islanders from Kiltan and Chetlat visited the island to collect the eggs of pelagic birds breeding there. Until 1945, when a woman from Chetlat made this island her home, there were no attempts to settle this island permanently. There is a small shrine dedicated to an old Arab saint by the name of Malik Mulla who was buried on the island. The shrine has become a pilgrimage site.
The atoll of Bitra encompasses two islands. The main Bitra Island 0.177 km2 (0.068 sq mi) is located at the northern end of the Bitrā Par coral reef 11°35′53″N 72°11′13″E / 11.598°N 72.187°E. The small south cay 0.009 km2 (0.0035 sq mi)is located on the southern part of the coral reef 11°31′26″N 72°10′34″E / 11.524°N 72.176°E. Bitra is one of the populated islands of Lakshadweep. It is located 33 km to the north of Perumal Par and 41 km to the southeast of Byramgore Reef. The Bitra Par lagoon area is 54.61 km2 (21.09 sq mi).
The main island has a small jetty on the south shore and a helipad on the westpoint.
The inhabitants on the island are engaged in very small scale farming and fishing which are mainly for the island consumption.
- Satellite picture showing the atolls of the Lakshadweep except for Minicoy
- "Islandwise Area and Population - 2011 Census" (PDF). Government of Lakshadweep. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-07-22.
- Registration Plate Numbers added to ISO Code
- Hydrographic Description (Indian Ocean Pilot)
- Bitra Island, Lakshadweep
- MGNREGS - Bitra Island
- "Oceandots - Bitrā Par". Archived from the original on 2010-12-23. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- Birds of Lakshadweep Islands
- Lakshadweep - Five Year Plan
- Tehsils info