Examples of folkway in the following topics:
- Different regions of the United States have different folkways that govern how people greet one another.
- Urban residents who travel to remote places may notice the difference and find the folkways unusual.
- Informal norms can be divided into two distinct groups: folkways and mores.
- Folkways are informal rules and norms that, while not offensive to violate, are expected to be followed.
- Sumner also coined the term folkway to refer to norms for more routine or casual interaction.
- We say that the norm that governs wearing professional rather than casual attire to a job interview is a folkway because its violation results in lesser degree of social sanction—the development of a preference rather than stigmatization.